Learn to Build a Website in One Day with Adobe MUSE
Adobe and AIGA San Francisco invite you to learn to build a website in one day — and you don’t have to learn to code.
Most designers have sat through at least one web design training course in the past ten years, but we promise that this one is different. Muse (codename) is a brand new software application from Adobe. Muse uses a similar design approach as other Adobe tools like InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, to enable graphic designers to plan, design and publish HTML websites without being restricted to templates and without needing to learn to write code. In just one day you’ll learn how to use this deep set of design and layout features to deliver professional, highly designed websites based on the latest standards.
What you’ll learn:
- Plan your site
- Quickly create a sitemap for your web design easily adding and rearranging pages and adjusting their relationships with one another.
- Apply master pages so that you can quickly apply elements that are common across multiple pages.
- Define site properties like margins, page width, page alignment and hyperlink state colors.
- Design your site
- Lay out your website design using tools very similar to those found in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, including common shortcuts and features like multi-file place, smart guides, paste in place, the eyedropper tool, the hand and zoom tool, page columns and gutters and more.
- Dynamic layout resizing allows your webpage to get longer to accommodate the content on each page.
- Place and style images and graphics including .PNG, .PSD, .GIF and .SWF, and enjoy precise control over color, fill, opacity, stroke, rounded corners, gradients and effects. Placed images and graphics will be optimized automatically when the website is previewed or published.
- Enjoy roundtrip editing with Photoshop and copy image data directly from Photoshop or Fireworks.
- Embed HTML code snippets from sources like Google Maps, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
- Add, edit and format text, even create and save text styles like in InDesign.
- Choose between web safe and display fonts. Display fonts will be rasterized on deployment with the text included in the ALT tag for the graphic so search engines can still “read” the content
- Add and completely customize smart site navigation that automatically reflects your site map layout
- Easily add fully customize interactive slideshows, tabbed and accordion panels, lightboxes and more.
- Enable Tooltips and remote rollovers
- Apply up, over, down and normal states for Photoshop buttons and menu items
- An Assets Panel helps you keep track of all assets associated with your site including the ability to re-link or Edit Original, much in the same way the Links Panel works in InDesign.
- Preview your design in Muse, or in your browser.
- Publish your site
- Create a trial site for testing and review purposes. This trial site will be hosted with Adobe and you’ll be able to send the URL to clients and business partners for review purposes.
- You can convert your trial site to a live site by keeping it hosted with Adobe or export your site for ftp to other hosting providers.
- Quick Start Guide (PDF) will be provided to each attendee.
Best suited to designers:
- Who have never designed a website
- Who have designed websites but rely on someone else to build them
- Who are comfortable building a HTML website but would prefer not to have to code
- Who rely on template driven systems to build websites without writing code
- You’re comfortable using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign
What you’ll need:
- Bring your own laptop computer. Either Windows or Macintosh – your choice.
To save time, please download these assets before you attend the workshop:
staff author and Adobe certified expert, justinseeley.com
Justin Seeley is a staff author for lynda.com and an Adobe Certified Expert. He has several years experience in both print and web design, and has authored over 60 hours of instructional content to date. Justin is the creator of the Photoshop Quicktips Podcast, a show that consistently ranks int he top 25 software how-to podcasts in the iTunes store and his techniques have been featured in several publications, podcasts, and blogs. You can find more information about Justin by visiting his website at www.justinseeley.com and by following him on twitter at www.twitter.com/justinseeley
If you need special assistance to participate in this program, please contact AIGA SF at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-626-6008. For reasonable assistance accommodations to be provided, please RSVP for the event and notify us at least 2 weeks in advance. If we do not receive timely notification of your reasonable request, we may not be able to make the necessary arrangements by the time of the event.
More information about accessibility, public transportation and parking.
Friday, 15 Jun 2012
10:00am - 1:00pm
- Adobe San Francisco
- 601 Townsend Street
- San Francisco, California 94103 Map
- AIGA Members: 5.00
- Non-Members: 10.00
- Student Members: 5.00
- Student Non-Members: 7.00
Workshops and Seminars
AIGA SF presents workshops and seminars of interest to AIGA members and the design community at large. Learn more »
Join and Follow AIGASF