Fall Gala: Pimp My Pine Wood Derby
WINNING RAFFLE NUMBERS POSTED HERE.
Do you remember your first car? For many, it was made of wood or plastic. Whether you wanted to be Speed Racer or Trixie, Jeff Gordon or Danica Patrick, you used your cars to race, to transport your toys and to emulate your parents.
AIGA SF will celebrate cars, their design and the need for speed with our Fall Gala: Pimp My Pine Wood Derby. The Gala will feature custom-designed pinewood derby cars created by our guests who can choose to donate them to the auction, or race them on our derby tracks for fame and glory.
The Gala will be hosted at The Forum at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts on November 18, 2010. The event will feature:
- Hosted wine, beer and soda
- Silent Auction of “Show Cars”
- Live racing of “Race Cars”
- Raffle for prizes ranging from posters, restaurant vouchers and magazine subscriptions to a copy of Adobe CS5.
Enter a Race Car
If you would like to bring a car to race, please give us your information so that we can plan how many “heats” we need. All you do is:
- Tell us you plan to enter a Race Car by registering online at right when your purchase your ticket.
- Purchase one Online
- Bring it with you to the Gala before 7:00 pm. We will have a check-in desk for the race cars.
Official Rules For Race Cars
1. The car weight shall not exceed 6.0 ounces.
2. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches and width shall not exceed 2 3⁄4 inches
3. The car must have 1 3⁄4” clearance between the wheels and 3/8” clearance underneath the body.
4. The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded.
5. Only dry lubricants such as graphite or powdered teflon “white lube” will be allowed for lubricating the wheels. Lubricants may not foul the track.
6. The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
7. No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
8. Each car must pass inspection by the AIGA SF inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete.
Enter a Show Car
If you would like to bring a car to donate to the silent auction, please give us your information.
- Tell us you plan to enter a Show Car by registering online at right
- Purchase one Online
- Bring it with you to the Gala before 7:00 pm. We will have a check-in desk for the show cars.
Official Rules For Show Cars
1. We will assign an entry # and affix it to the car.
2. You are not required to use the wood provided in the kit, nor follow any of the Race Car Rules. Just have fun!
Gala Raffle (partial list)
- Adobe Systems – CS 5 Design Premium
- GelaSkin Inc. – Removable covers for iPhones, iPads and MacBooks (27 total)
- HOW – 1 year subscription
- Print – 1 year subscription
- Shutterstock – 1 year subscription
- Ugmonk – 2 Graphic T-Shirts
- The Mountain Skateboard – Skateboard donated by Hemlock Printers
- Stern Grove Festival Poster by MINE.
- Mill Valley Film Festival Poster by MINE.
- Academy of Sciences Poster
- Everything is OK Poster
If you would like to participate as a sponsor, please download Fall Gala Partnership Opportunities packet at right. Or sign up online.
If you need special assistance to participate in this program, please contact AIGA SF at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-626-6008. For reasonable assistance accommodations to be provided, please RSVP for the event and notify us at least 2 weeks in advance. If we do not receive timely notification of your reasonable request, we may not be able to make the necessary arrangements by the time of the event.
More information about accessibility, public transportation and parking.
Thursday, 18 Nov 2010
6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
- 701 Mission Street
- San Francisco, California 94103 Map
- AIGA Members: $20.00
- Non-Members: $40.00
- Student Members: $15.00
- Student Non-Members: $20.00
AIGA SF presents special events throughout the year that celebrate design, showcase excellence and just have fun. Learn more »
- Portfolio Review 2016
- Saturday, 4 Jun 2016
9:00am - 1:00pm
- Letterform Archive: Preserving Design’s Past for its Future
- Wednesday, 7 Sep 2016
6:30pm - 8:00pm
Join and Follow AIGASF